Who are you in that tiny sacred space called "me"? We love our children, yes. But there is a small, often ignored space beyond ourselves as mothers that our souls (and sanity) need us to rediscover, share, and celebrate. This blog is an honest place for us to connect with each other on levels beyond mom - we are dreamers, writers, artists, builders, teachers, athletes, photographers, and so, so much more. So I challenge you to dig up, discover, and share what lives in your space beyond mom. Email your story and pictures to beyondmomsblog@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mira's Story

{Hooray! Our first contributor! Thanks for sharing, Mira.} 


I am a knitter.  You can see me knitting on the T, in line, at the doctor's office, on my lunch hour, when I watch TV, walking around. Pretty much anytime I'm not actively doing something else with my hands, I'm kitting. I knit because I hate the idea of just sitting and not doing anything when I could be being productive. I knit because I love the feel of yarn in my hands – wool, alpaca, cashmere, linen, bulky, lace-weight, worsted weight.  



I love the mental challenge of complicated lace or cables, and the relaxation of a simple stockinette, garter, or rib.   I knit for me, for family and friends, photo samples for designers. It doesn’t really matter what I’m knitting or for whom, it’s as much a part of me as walking or picking up a fork.  


Definitely one of the most challenging aspects of motherhood for me has been, literally, having my hands full, and not being able to knit nearly as much as I had before. It’s definitely part of why I babywear, and now that my son is a little more independent, one of my favorite things to do is sit with him on the floor while he plays with his toys and I knit. It lets me have some "me" time while still being present with him, which is definitely win-win!

Mira lives in Massachusetts with her husband and her little guy, Jesse. Check out her blogs: Mamas and Milk, and, Mira's Knits.

No comments:

Post a Comment